Saturday, June 19, 2010

The patriotic expatriot

When I was home, I would not consider myself a patriot, unless we were talking about the NFL. I was American, but so was everybody else, and I was far less into my country than most. Hell, I don't even own an American flag, nor do I think my parents do. Serving my country was never even an option, and although I loved living in America, I honestly didn't think about it much.
I did my fair amount of traveling, including New Zealand and Europe, and being American was fine. They understood that Americans COULD be the arrogant, ignorant, loud and obnoxious ones portrayed in movies, or we could be normal. They also understood that THEIR nation could be arrogant, ignorant, loud and obnoxious, and therefore I got along with people from all over the world, because well, I get along with everybody, and honestly, at the end of the day nationalities don't make you who you are.
Then I came to Korea, and had my first real interactions with America's mortal enemy. Now, I thought we were friends, but it turns out thats all a sham. Thats right people, I'm talking about the Canadians. While everybody else seems okay with me being American, the Canadians can't handle it. And I get it, if I was Canada, I would have something to prove to the rest of the world. Everyday I get shit for being American. But just from Canadians. It seems that everybody roots for America to loose at everyhting, and I'm just not talking world cup anymore. Everything thats wrong in the world, well, if America didn't do it, it wouldn't need to get fixed.
Don't get me wrong, America does some things that are just not okay. I'm not going to disillusion myself, and nobdoy else should either. we know it. But we do a few things that are, and out of all the expats, those living in Korea should realize that. I didn't realize that anybody actually got the chance to teach in South Korea because Canada sent their military here.
Truth be told, I have met some people of other nationalities that are much more arrogant and obnoxious than any American I've ever met. Thats not to say that Aerica doesn't have arrogant human beings, because I know for a fact that it does. But I've met more people more hyper about how much better their country is and more into trying to make everybody else feel like shit about themselves than at least I am. I honestly don't think that I've ever been so obnoxious about being American unless I'm being attacked for it. But I've never attacked another nationality for existing.
Its a little rediculous. America is where I LIVE. It is my HOME. So why sit there and tell me how terrible America is and how 9/11 deserved to happen, cause i don't want to hear it. I understand that Canadians have the middle child syndrome, where they want mommy and daddy to listen so much that they'll say anything and root for their big brother to fail, but honestly; look at how YOU act before you jump to conclusions about me being an asshole American.

All the patience in the world, faith and a little respect for other people's cultures,
ErinJ

No comments:

Post a Comment