Monday, January 18, 2010

EP's heart in Phnom Penh (Pt2) and Cambodia wrap up

The Throne room
Eventually, we had to leave the beach and get to the airport in Phnom Penh, but since we had 6-8 hours, we decided to see the Royal temple. Maybe its because we were tired and hot, maybe its because we had already seen Angkor (and thats hard to beat), or maybe its because I had seen some of Europe's landmarks; but I was just unimpressed. IT could have been because everything was in Khmer, and we simply didn't know what was going on; but it was a semi-lame building. IT was a good example of Khmer architecture, but whatever. We rolled in, admired and rolled out, only to wiki it later. THe most famous thing here is the silver pagoda, which is a room with a huge silver floor, but you can only see a tiny portion and the rest is carpet. Its actually an interesting building, and the K.Rouge wanted to prove that they weren't THAT bad so they didn't do any damage (cause that makes everything else okay...) I wish I appreciated it more when I was there, but so is life. Theres only so much sight seeing you can do before you simply do not care. (I'm not overly concerned, I'll be back to Cambo some day)

IN a mirror in the Silver Pagoda room

Cambodia was an eye-opener for me. I've seen poor people before, but never an impovershed country. Most of these people didn't have running water, or electricity, or ever leave the town in which they were born. They don't have enough to eat, but they love it. They love Cambodia, and love their lives knowing that people live so much better than them. I have so much respect for these people, especially people over 35, that lived through the Pol Pot regime. It really made me thankful for being born in America in the late 20th century and not in Cambodia. Although I stand fast on my belief that the world would be a better place if people had the mindset of the normal Cambodian, I'm so glad I'm not one of them. THis trip has made me so Thankful for my life, my experiences, my education, and the rest of it; that it makes everything else seem unimportant. IT also made me realize how much this whole teach in Korea just isn't for me, and volunteering in a 3rd world country (or teaching here) is. After seeing things I only understood by watching the news, I really want to go change the world. And if that means making life easier for a few people, than thats what it is. This is one of 2 trips that have absoultly changed my life (maybe 3.....). I did so much that I thought I would be to scared to do (motorcycles!) and saw so much that I know I'll always remember. So although I was sad to say goodbye to a country that I love, I know I'll be back next year. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment