Saturday, October 16, 2010

This ain't goodbye

Korea has taught so much. So much about adapting, asia, cultures, teaching and myself. But last night, as we had to keep pulling tables together as people kept joining my going away party, I realized a lot about friendship.
This year I've been sad that my friends from CT haven't been around, doing that thing where you say "Well if blank and blank were here..." And everybody does it.
And this year has taught me how important it is to hang on to the people that are important to you, and that the effort is worth it. some people will have your back and love you forever, regardless of where you are, or what you choose to do, or if you can't remember the last time you saw them.

But last night, as I looked around the table of people I've met in the last year, people from school, from the bar, people from tops of mountains, my TaeKwonDo instructors, and Brad from the airport I realized that some of these people are my best friends, and some are my family. and when one of them said "if we break Erin's other leg she'll have to stay" I realized how truely blessed I am, that I have people from so many backgrounds, from all over the world that love me.

I watched as they talked with eachother with ease, like they have all known eachother forever, even though most had met that night and their only common link was me, and their love of adventure. It was weird, since in CT I was always so careful to keep my separate groups apart, but here it was nothing for all the people I know to interact as if they were all friends already. And I guess they kind of are. this is one of the 3242 reasons why I love being an expat.

I know I'll meet other people that are going to be amazing, and I know that its time to move on and do other things, but the only thing thats keeping me from canceling flights and staying here is the fact that at least I know that my friends are mobile. So although it took everything not to burst into tears at the bar last night, I know that this simply will not be the last time I see you.

Patience, Faith and a plane ticket....
ErinJ

1 comment:

  1. Good, very good! ! ! Thank you to let me see these articles and pictures, it's cool, I'm very excited, which to me is incredibly, I finally found the soul mate and your works not only real, and vivid! I love to see you as soon as possible, hope you update of work!!!Montblanc Eyewear

    ReplyDelete