Sunday, October 25, 2009

On Being Discriminated Against

So I promise I'm going to start posting more, but for now, heres something I've been thinking about.

In America, I'm just like everybody else. Well, obviously not; but I can speak the language, go into stores, and know whats going on.
Here, that is not the case, and although there are heaps of expats around, in a metropolitan area of 21 million people, we are still the extreme minority. And it shows. A lot of the time, Koreans are really nice, and chill, and will help you out.
Sometimes that is not the case. Yesterday, we were thrown out of a hat store. Not to long ago, we were overcharged for a taxi, and had an arguement with the guy. We get followed around in museums. There are somethings that happen, that you know they wouldn't dare pull with Koreans.

Its weird, and eye-opening. I've never been straight out discriminated against just for being white. I think its healthy, but its not right. People shouldn't be mean, or try to rip people off just for being white, just cause they can't understand you.

It puts a new perspective on things.

No comments:

Post a Comment