Sunday, October 18, 2009

On Hiking up Mountains in Korea

New friends on a glorious fall afternoon

So Today I went out to Soyosan (READ: The furthest you can get from me on the subway pretty much) to climb a mountain. I found a group on the internet that climbs mountains, and I had nothing going on this Sunday so I decided to get in on that. It ended up being me and couple of older guys, but they were rediculously interesting to talk to. So I went along the ride, and it was hard. For a while I didn't think I was going to make it, but was extremly pleased when I did. It was worth it, the views, as well as being out in nature (as much as you can in these parts) was refreshing. It was a nice change of pace. We were also rewarded with a neat Buddhist temple at the bottom. It was hard, but I'm proud and happy I went out.

From the Peak

Temples

BUT Thats not what I want to talk about. Hiking in Korea is rediculous. While hiking in America world, in some places, you don't see anybody for a while. This was not the case. With the amount of crowds going into this mountain you would think that this was disney world, or some other theme park. Hundreds of people all over the place. Not only were there heaps of people, but they were on a mission. They all had these big camel back packs, walking sticks (notice the s) NOt only did they have enough gear to lead the untrained eye into believing that they were moving ontop the mountain, but they packed lunch. Now Erin, you may be saying, thats normal. But no. They didn't pack a lunch. They packed 4-5-6-7+ course korean meals, that they had hiked up a mountain. WHAT? Korea, calm the hell down. Not only was there a meal included, there was beer, and the soj involved. It was all sorts of rediculous. They had full families on this mountain. Pack your boots grandma, your gettin' to the top. It was an expereince.

Notice the gear




On top of the mountain!!


Oh, and for all of my lovely followers that don't have Facebook, I am pleased to report that I did, in fact, get internet, and some of my pictures (its a process) are available for viewing! check it out
http://eptheexpat.smugmug.com

No comments:

Post a Comment