Sunday, September 6, 2009

holla

Korea is a big, scary place.
Lets recap, shallll we.
JFK was boring, and I was so tired. So tired in fact, I slept through takeoff. When I woke up, I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that the seat next to me was open. with a flight that long, as anybody can attest, is a real treat. So I ate dinner, which was grand, slept straight through till breakfast, then watched a movie and read some and BAM. SEOUL TIME. Its the more Asian version of hammer time. But it was 3 am. The first thing I noticed though is the fact that you know you are in a city. Its just harder to breathe. But that’s okay. My flight was supposed to get in around 430, but eventually got in over an hour early, so I waited around for 2 hours until some kid picked me up. I was so relieved to see him!! We drove about an hour to my place, which is remarkably decent for being free. The only thing I really dislike is the kitchen, as it is not a kitchen at all but a sink and a stove. That’s right. No Oven. No Microwave. No Coffee Pot. Just a 2 burner range. I also have a fairly sizable loft, but there’s nothing in it, and I think that’s a little strange. But my wii works, although it doesn’t play dvds so I should have brought the ps2 instead. Alas. After unpacking heaps, although not all of it, I went for a little walk to see what was going on. Holy moley, its intense. Its like Chinatown. Except Korean. And Not in America. And nobody speaks English. They’re nice enough, although staring a lot. I went to the local convenience store to get paper towels and toilet paper and the like, and apparently paper towels were buy one get one, which they call ‘one plus one’ here. I just didn’t get it until some old lady, who talked to me in Korean, like I understood, just got me an extra set. Then I came back to change into shorts and go back out, and fell asleep. For a while, until this weird phone thing started ringing. When I picked up and angry sounding man was hollering in Korean. I tried saying I don’t speak Korean and hung up. And it rang again, so doing what Lindsay does best, just ignored it. Then somebody was knocking. When I opened the door it was some guy, possibly the man from the other end, yelling something in Korean. I was speaking English, he was speaking Korean and nobody had any idea what was going on. Since then I’ve been laying low, forcing myself to get out of bed, although its 6pm, and I’m going to try to stay up another 2 hours.
I have to work tomorrow, and don’t have an alarm clock, so lets see how THAT goes. I think with jetlag I’ll bounce up early. And I opened the shade to assure sun comes in. WHO DOESN”T PACK AN ALARM CLOCK!!!! I assume korea has them, I just have no idea where to get one. Or how to get one? Its going to be an adventure…..

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, EP!

    Welcome to Korea! My goodness, it certainly happened fast, didn't it!

    You don't say where you are (Seoul, I know, but not the gu) or who you're working for, but I assume it's a hagwon, hopefully a reputable one. I'll also assume that someone from your school has sorted you out with an alarm clock and figured out what the ajosshi wanted--he probably wasn't actually angry, Korean just sounds growly and kind of pissed off.

    A couple bits of advice:
    1) get your health check ASAP so you can get your ARC. It is necessary before you can get an account at most banks, and before you can get a cell phone. You *need* a cell phone.
    2) you mention your friend is coming to Korea--Seoul? It is important to have at least one or two people in a support network of foreigners or you may feel isolated and get off on the wrong foot. Don't do that because this is a great place to live, it just takes some getting used to.
    3) if all else fails, go to Itaewon this weekend or next, and speak English to someone, maybe have some comfort food. The bar I recommend is 3 Alley Pub/Sam Ryan's, though it is heavy on the men, and you may want a friendly female face ...
    4) don't make Itaewon too much of a habit, though; some people get too comfortable there and don't experience Korea properly.
    5) go exploring in your neighborhood, and learn the subway system also--it is safe, cheap and comprehensive.
    6) You will get stared at a little, but they are just curious and don't know how impolite it is--mostly. After you get down the essential spoken Korean, tackle hangeul, it's easier than it seems. Spoken Korean is way hard!

    Okay, enough of that. Mostly, enjoy, and keep blogging! It's good for your sanity!

    ReplyDelete