Thursday, May 6, 2010

Children's Day! or: Cheering on FC Seoul


So yesterday all of Korea land had a day off from school for Children's day! All kids got presents from there parents (mine came a week before in the form of Maple Syrup and Glee) and went to zoos, parks, amusement parks and other places kids go I guess. I don't really understand the day, and like Labor day, I simply don't care, I got a day off.
Angela and I started the day early in Iteawon, doing some shopping, getting some breakfast and getting a few refreshing beverages in our system. Why not? We had a day off. IT was generally relaxing.
We then made our way to World Cup Stadium, where the world cup was in 2002 and is now the home of the national team (who is training for the world cup as they should be) and home of FC 서울 (FC Seoul). They had a game at 3, and after hearing from numerous sources that games never sell out, we rolled in at 2:30. MISTAKE. The place was packed (I read later today that a record crowd of over 60,000 was there). It was CHAOS, and we weren't really sure what to do. After getting our 4,000 won (3usd) tickets, We met up with Brad (Remember him from Cambodia?), saw many of our friends from Beomgye, and eventually got to meet up with Tina, where we abused the Meakju man, yelling Phiting! more than necessary and generally enjoyed my first sporting event in Korea. The stadium was huge, and after further investigation, rarely gets morea than 35,000 visitors, so apparently children's day was the day to go.
After cheering FC Seoul to victory (4-0!) against Seongnam (with fireworks for every goal, very neat) we headed back to Iteawon for some mexican for Cinco de Mayo. And to hit the forein market where I got Jello and Cheese (but not macaroni and cheese since a block of cheese cost less than that box) The mexican would be considered subpar, but for Korean mexican, fairly exceptional. But I was so tired from such a....long day, I slept on the subway home.

I love sporting events, and am glad that korea has heaps. Unfortunatly, they aren't playing at home again until after the world cup, and the 2 weekend in July I'll be away (I'll actually be away 3 weekends, one on the coast of Korea, and 2 in BALI) so maybe you'll see a baseball related post soon.

On the Next Edition:
Breakfast food in Iteawon
Field trips with the rugrats

Patience and Faith,
ErinJ


Notice Tina and I's Children's day gift from our TaeKwonDo instructor :)

2 comments:

  1. America should totally have that Holiday.

    I just like presents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Erin--

    Hey, I was at that game, but I don't remember seeing you!

    True, there has never been such a crowd, but I've noticed this season has a huge increase (about double!) in attendance compared to the past!

    Some pretty decent soccer takes place there, too.

    ReplyDelete