Saturday, December 25, 2010

Advanced Open Water Certified!

Merry Christmas from Koh Tao! That’s right, I came back. I am so obsessed with Scuba diving that I decided to get my advanced open water. I know I say a lot of stuff, but I’m really serious about eventually becoming an instructor, and hopefully making a triumphant and permanent return to Koh Tao. The advanced course included 5 dives over 2 days. After meeting my group, which consisted of 4 boys and me, we filled out paperwork, went through the book and got to it. Our first dive was a 30m dive, to become deep certified. I had heaps of problems equalizing my ears, so the boys went off while I swam around with an instructor (who, thankfully, was also a girl). I saw the largest fish I have ever seen ( a grouper) and heaps of other really cool animals you don’t get at 18m. I was the only one to have troubles with this dive, and since I was the only girl, you could only imagine how much it pissed me off, but I got over it, and was ready for the next one. The next dive focused on Navigation underwater. Its tricky, since everything kind of looks the same and theres really no landmarks. After a descent, its really quite easy to get lost. We rocked it, and I was able to navigate with my buddies no problem. The final dive of the day was a night dive, which was fucking brilliant. Armed with only flashlights to see, we swam around. When you turn off the flashlight, the plankton reacts to movement and lights up, being easily, the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen. We also played some fish god, shining lights on little fish to watch massive barracudas eat them. MUNCH!

The last 2 dives were multilevel, and a fish id dive, but they were really just us swimming around and having fun. This class focused a little more on how to plan our own dives, and the last 2 we didn’t have an instructor, so made us independent divers.

Spending Christmas on Koh Tao was amazing~but I’ll write about that when I get to my next point~Koh Phi Phi! Night ferry ahoy!

Happy Holiday,
ErinJ

No comments:

Post a Comment