Sunday, December 12, 2010

Scenes from the back of a tuk tuk

Tuk Tukkk
So after a solid 16 hours of sleep, I bounced up this morning ready to go. I started walking to the palace, as apparently you have to see it in. I'm not going to lie, I'm at a point where I'm extremely indifferent to palaces, but I'm in Bangkok for a few days so had to kill time somehow. So as I'm wandering, I met a Israeli couple who are lost, and ended up walking around with them. We walk to the palace, and some guy is blathering on some bullshit that I caught onto, but couple didn't. Either way we ended up going on a "site-seeing" tour for 10 baht a person (read: 30 cents) cause, really, I wasn't doing anything anyway, so I may as well not do anything with people. So we went to a really large standing Buddha, which was okay, the "lucky Buddha" which was bloody lame and the marble temple, which I actually liked a lot. It was pretty, and a river ran through it and it was one of the nicer ones. We also went to a bunch of shops where they tried to get us to buy shit, but I honeslty didn't care because a) these places had bathrooms and b) they were airconditioned. I am shameless in the fact where I'll listen to somebody blather on about tailor made suits if I can do it somewhere that isn't 8432 degrees. This was only a 2 hour excursion, which was chill.

Buddah Buddah BUddah Buddah rockin' everywhere

We went to the Grand Palace afterwards, which was actually a pretty cool place. We rolled up, and they immediatly called me out for not wearing pants. Well no shit, its a trillion degrees in the SHADE by 9am, so I had to some long Thai pants. Assuming they would keep me cool, cause I mean, they do wear pants in the desert. Yeah, CAUSE THEY'RE CRAZY. Erin+Heat= ><

Either way, the palace was really kind of neat. This is apparently known for housing the "jade Buddha" which was small and underwhelming. The grounds themselves were amazing though, with really colorful, shiny halls and the like, and it was huge.
Grand Palace

The artwork was beautiful and I really liked it. I did Khmer arctitecture, and this was much nicer than the one in Phenom Phen. We decided we were too hot so walked to wat pho, which is known for its reclining Budd ah. It was huge, and once again, the grounds were pretty. The temples here are so colorful and use a lot of mirrors, so it looks shiney and reflecty and is overall, impressive in the sun.

Wat Pho

After this, I was a little watted out, as were my travel companions for the day, so we called it a day. After the most glorious cold shower of my life, and a nap, I bounced up for more pad thai~and I stand by my theory that it is in fact, the most delicious food ever. I also stand by all of my observations from yesterday. The thais were out in long sleeves and jeans today. I wanted to pass out just looking at them!

Guardians at the grand palace

Patience, Faith, and multi colored pants,
ErinJ

No comments:

Post a Comment