Wednesday, March 9, 2011

They shouldn't have to COPE with it

Feb 21st
Woke up early to bike to the Myanmar embassy: Visa DENIED. What a hassle. Now I have to get another letter and/or go to Bangkok instead of spending all of my time in Don Det. BUMMER. After stomping around the city for a while I got on my bike and went to COPE, which is my favorite museum I’ve ever been to.
Little known facts:
The most heavily bombed country in the history of the world is Laos.
1 person/day dies from unexploded bombs that they’re trying to collect for scrap metal.



America needs to come in and clean the fuck up. How can they do this to people?
So COPE builds prosthetics for those that have gotten hit by bombs (and they’re hidden in rice fields, under houses and the like). After watching some documentaries, I honestly wanted to throw up just because I’m American. I really wish I was more trained or could help or anything, because if anybody needs it is the Laotians. America bombed them for NO reason, over 500,000 missions with over 100 bombs dropped per mission, there is a lot of UXO (unexploded ordinance) in this country. The museum in Phnom Phen made me upset, but this is distressing because a) people are still dying daily (most of them children who mistake the bombies for toys) and b) because Its AMERICANS that ravaged this country. How dare they think they could do this to a group of people don’t deserve it. And now they’re turning a blind eye, which is disgusting. In a documentary I watched a child at the end said “They aren’t ours. I want them to take it back”
Learn more or donate to the cause

COPElaos.org

So on that depressing tangent, I continued biking, went to the arc de triumph of vientaine, climbed it, wasn’t impressed and spent the afternoon reading on the Mekong with a beer


Vertical Runway?

No comments:

Post a Comment